Psophocarpus tetragonolobus (L.)DC.
Genus: Psophocarpus DC.
- 1988(Africa)Lock JM
- 1988(Americas)Zarucchi JL
- 1990(New Zealand & Pacific)Horn P
- 1993 Polhill RM
- 1993(Indian Ocean)Lock JM & Ireland H
- 1996(Japan)Ohashi H
- 1999-05 Heald J
- Conservation Status:
- Cultigen not known in the wild
- Country of origin unknown; may be Asian. 
- Produces edible tuberous roots; green pods used as vegetables. 
- Young green leaves and shoots may be eaten as a vegetable. 
- The ripe seeds are used in Indonesia after parching. 
- Widely cultivated from W Africa to S India & Sri Lanka to Indochina.
Last Update: 14/06/2001 12:57:56